The Madaraka Express Passenger Service is designed to transport you comfortably between Mombasa and Suswa station with stopovers at Mariakani, Miasenyi, Voi, Mtito Andei, Kibwezi, Emali, Athi River, Nairobi Terminus, Ongata Rongai, Ngong and Maai Mahiu stations. Tickets for travel on the Madaraka Express Passenger Service can be purchased as outlined below:
- Online: using the https//metickets.krc.co.ke platform
- In person: Over the counter at the nearest Madaraka Express Passenger Service station.
- By phone. Utilizing the USSD Payment Solution by dialing *639# on your Safaricom line and following the steps as prompted
- Passengers can purchase a ticket upto sixty (60) days in advance and a return ticket as long as it is within the sixty (60) days window period
- The USSD payment solution and online platform are available 24/7
- One can book up to a maximum of ten (10) persons per transaction with the USSD Payment Solution and the online platform
- Passengers are encouraged to get to the train station not later than one (1) hour before departure for an easy check-in and boarding experience. Passengers are also requested to note that the final call for boarding the train is made 11 minutes to departure time and the gates to the platform close 10 minutes before departure time.
- Passengers are advised to have original identification documents when booking over the counter and during the journey.
- Selling of tickets for travel on the Mombasa to Nairobi section stops 30 minutes before departure; and for the Nairobi to Suswa section, stops 10 minutes before departure
- The booking office opens at 6:30 am and closes at 8:30 pm. To book a ticket via 0709 388888 one should call between 8:30 am and 8:30 pm.
- To make an enquiry, please reach us on 0709 388887
- During purchase of tickets at the stations, one should:
- Pay attention to the display screen at the ticket windows
- Prepare ticket fee in advance for quick service
- Tell the Attendant your travel date, preferred train (whether it is the Express or the Inter-County), departure station, destination station, preferred class,
- Check the ticket information to confirm all the captured details are correct and alert the attendant incase of any errors
- Confirm you have been given the correct balance after purchasing the ticket
- Children below 13 years must be accompanied by a parent/guardian during the journey
- Children between 3-11 years traveling with adults will pay half fare
- Children over 11 years old must pay the full ticket price
- Children aged 3 years and below are not required to have a ticket.
- Cases where a passenger is traveling with more than one child, only one child shall pay half fare. The rest shall pay the full fare.
Cases where a passenger desires to change his/her travel, the following rescheduling and refund procedure shall be observed:
Kenya Railways wishes to inform the public that all cancellations during this containment period have been suspended.
The unutilized tickets remain valid and will be rescheduled for travel at a later date upon lifting of the Cessation of Movement Order. Passengers who had already printed their tickets are advised to keep the tickets safe for rescheduling purposes.
- Replacing a lost ticket will attract a 30% fee of the lost ticket upon verification of details provided during the initial booking.
Customers are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages into the train stations or onboard the train.
Pets on the train
In consideration of the safety of other passengers, Management notes that:
- Pets are likely to carry the virus and bacteria, which might be harmful to other passengers;
- Some pets are likely to be offensive to the passengers, especially odour and excreta of pets may pollute the environment in the train and cause discomfort for other passengers.
For this reasons, KR Management prohibits bringing pets onboard the train.