The Madaraka Express Passenger Service is designed to transport you comfortably between Mombasa and Suswa station with stopovers at Mariakani, Miasenyi, Voi, Mtito Andei, Kibwezi, Emali, Athi River, Nairobi Terminus, Ongata Rongai, Ngong and Maai Mahiu stations. Tickets for travel on the Madaraka Express Passenger Service can be purchased as outlined below:
- Online: using the https//metickets.krc.co.ke platform
- In person: Over the counter at the nearest Madaraka Express Passenger Service station.
- By phone. Utilizing the USSD Payment Solution by dialing *639# on your Safaricom line and following the steps as prompted
- Passengers can purchase a ticket upto five (5) days in advance and a return ticket as long as it is within the five (5) days window period
- The USSD payment solution and online platform are available 24/7
- One can book up to a maximum of ten (10) persons per transaction with the USSD Payment Solution and the online platform
Customers on the service are encouraged to observe the ‘Terms and Conditions’ for ticket purchases and general operations as below:
- Passengers are encouraged to get to the train station not later than 60 minutes before departure for an easy check-in and boarding experience. Passengers are also requested to note that the final call for boarding the train is made 11 minutes to departure time and the gates to the platform close 10 minutes before departure time.
- Passengers are advised to have original identification documents when booking over the counter and during the journey. Where one has lost or misplaced the National Identity Card, a Passport, Driving license, National Hospital Insurance Fund (NHIF) card or a Police Abstract and Waiting Card may be used.
- Selling of tickets for travel on the Mombasa to Nairobi section stops 30 minutes before departure; and for the Nairobi to Suswa section, stops 10 minutes before departure
- The booking office opens at 6:30 am and closes at 8:30 pm. To book a ticket via 0709 388888 one should call between 8:30 am and 8:30 pm.
- To make an enquiry, please reach us on 0709 388887
- During purchase of tickets at the stations, one should:
- Pay attention to the display screen at the ticket windows
- Prepare ticket fee in advance for quick service
- Tell the Attendant your travel date, preferred train (whether it is the Express or the Inter-County), departure station, destination station, preferred class,
- Check the ticket information to confirm all the captured details are correct and alert the attendant incase of any errors
- Confirm you have been given the correct balance after purchasing the ticket
- The Railway station will not accept any children below 13 years who are traveling alone
- Children between 3-11 years traveling with adults will pay half fare
- Children over 11 years old must pay the full ticket price
- Children aged 3 years and below are not required to have a ticket. The operator assumes that they can seat with an accompanying adult.
- Cases where a passenger is traveling with twins, triplets or quadruplets, only one child shall pay half fare. The rest shall pay the full fare.
- In cases where a passenger looses his/her ticket, he/she will be required to buy another ticket in order to travel.
- If a passenger looses his/her ticket while in transit, the passenger will be expected to buy another ticket at the destination station in order to exit the station,
- Cases where a passenger desires to change his/her travel, the following rescheduling and refund procedure shall be observed:
- During this Covid-19 pandemic period, cancellations and refunds have been suspended. Customers are encouraged to reschedule as below:
- Tickets for individual travel can be rescheduled at least forty eight (48) hours to the departure time
- Rescheduling of tickets is done using the details provided during the initial booking instance i.e same class, same service, same person.
- A ticket can only be rescheduled once i.e one time
- Rescheduling can only be done over the counters at the Nairobi and Mombasa Termini
Alcohol is strictly prohibited into the Termini/Stations. Whereas passengers may purchase alcohol; at the retail outlets within the Termini/Stations, consumption is strictly prohibited on board the train.
Pets on the train
In consideration of the safety of other passengers, Management notes that:
- Pets are likely to carry the virus and bacteria, which might be harmful to other passengers;
- Some pets are likely to be offensive to the passengers;
- Odour and excreta of pets may pollute the environment in the train and cause discomfort of other travelers.
For this reasons, the management prohibits bringing pets onboard the train. Exceptions can be made for military dogs, raid dogs, search and rescue dogs and/or guide dogs. For these cases, the Passengers who request to bring military dogs, raid dogs, search and rescue dogs and/or guide dogs need to:
- Inform the management in advance
- Provide the relevant documentation including proof of vaccination.
The dogs should also be on a leash upon entering the train station and have a mouth-set. The passenger should also provide a cage for temporarily holding the dog during the course of the journey.